NYLT Part #1: August 4-6, 2018; Part #2: August 9-12, 2018
Training the youth leaders of a Boy Scout Troop, Venture Crew, or Sea Scout Ship is important in helping the individual Scout and the unit to grow. The Boy Scouts of America has developed this training experience that has proven highly valuable in developing youth leaders.
The course will stress two areas of leadership development: (1) Team Development taught via an overall outdoor experience, and (2) Basic Leadership Skills, which will help the youth leader to be more effective in his/her job, school, home, and Scouting life.
What is National Youth Leadership Training? The National Youth Leadership Training course is an introduction to leadership skills such as Communicating, Giving Presentations, Resolving Conflict, and Team Development, just to name a few. Many adults in the corporate environment spend thousands of dollars to gain this level of leadership training. Receiving this training this early in life will position these youth to be successful in their units and throughout life. Participants will sleep in tents, work and learn as a team, and will be expected to live by the Scout Oath and Law.
What is its purpose?
- To give Scouts the confidence and skills to lead their unit
- To give youth a basic knowledge of the eleven skills of leadership and how to relate these skills to Scouting
- To give youth the opportunity to share ideas and experiences with Scouts from other units
- To create an atmosphere in which Scouts will experience the Patrol Method at its best
- To enhance the relationship between the Youth Leader and his/her Unit Leader
- To have FUN!
Who may attend?
It is highly recommended that course participants be of sufficient maturity and experience as reflected in these minimum requirements:
- First Class Scout
- 13+ years of age
- Has served or is currently serving as a Patrol Leader, Assistant Senior Patrol Leader, or Senior Patrol Leader (or similar position in a Venture Crew or Sea Scout unit), or is likely to assume one of these positions soon.